Sunday, July 14, 2013

Bio-availability of Inositol

 Tess got me questioning ... Wiki -

Inositol or its phosphates and associated lipids are found in many foods, in particular fruit, especially cantaloupe andoranges.[6] In plants, the hexaphosphate of inositol, phytic acid or its salts, the phytates, are found. These serve as phosphate stores in the seed. Phytic acid occurs also in cereals with highbran content and also nuts and beans, but inositol when present as phytate is not directly bioavailable to humans in the diet, since it is not digestible
  
Does this imply that inositol in fruit is bio-available and phytated inositol is not? or all inositol is not bio-available? When I first read it, I assumed that non phylated was bio-available.
and then the other paper says..."

To determine whether the data presented in Appendix Table I could be used to develop diets containing a known amount of myo-inositoh, eight diets whose calculated myo-inositoh content ranged from 225 to 1500 mg were prepared. Each diet was estimated to contain 1800 kcal and was planned according to the food exchange lists of the American Diabetes Association. "


So the question becomes it inositol bio available or not? Does fruit replacement for the few vegetable I eat kill craving?
Well note the high concentration fruits, cantaloupe, oranges, grapefruit. Well, after three meals of my normal meats, and fruits, I will say that it looks promising. In those three meals, were about 300 calories of fruits. By the third meal, I think my hunger/cravings were reduced, but these do remit from time to time a bit, so it is not clear to me if the fruit is doing it or not. I will give it a week or so.

Note that the caloric density of cantaloupe is 0.35, while oranges are 0.70, and grapefruit is 0.42. Therefore cantaloupe or grapefruit is the best bet.






1 comment :

please feel fee to comment. Links to other websites are not accepted. Links to related articles are. Negative comments will be delegated with the second finger.