First it is a series of decisions, that must be made, until the habit of proper behavior is established. The first is it is my responsibility and duty to recover / break the habit. I have a choice, eat or use, and it is this choice that I must make on a frequent basis.
Eating can be considered to be spartan meals, that which is necessary, nothing that causes a rush of dopamine, serotonin, endorphins, or any other I like this chemicals. Limited carbohydrate, and reasonable amount of protein, green vegetables and perhaps a root each day. Anything more is using.
I will try this philosophy for a while and see if it works.
added later From
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/food-junkie/201208/portrait-food-addict Definition of addiction requirements
1. Tolerance as seen when an individual consumes a larger quantity of a substance to reach intoxication or a desired effect; or when a person experiences a markedly diminished effect when consuming the same amount of the substance
2. Withdrawal as demonstrated by a withdrawal syndrome or taking another substance to alleviate or avoid withdrawal symptoms
3. Consuming the substance in larger amounts or for a longer period than the person intended
4. A persistent desire or unsuccessful efforts to reduce or control substance use
5. An immense amount of time is spent on efforts to obtain, use, or recover from the effects of the substance
6. Because of use of the substance, participation in social, occupational or recreational activities are given up or reduced
7. Substance use continues despite knowing that a persistent physical or psychological problem is likely to be caused or aggravated by using the substance