"We need to show people how to retrain their brains so that what they enjoy eating is good for their weight."
If I listens to HAES, I would be massive or dead.
Ya sure, but that may not be enough. Most of the time remission is all about not eating, and retraining ourselves to not eat. We do not have stoic absolute control of all of what drives our appetites only influence. It it is beyond our stoic control, we can only influence, some times our desires happen, sometimes not. We may be able to place physical and mental obstacles to prevent eating; some times we just go around.
The way I see it there are at least five stages or groups of problems to overcome in obesity recovery or obesity remission. We have only quality, quantity, and frequency to work with at the observed behavioral level. The cause must be understood and removed to obtain lasting remission from overeating and this is at the psychological or philosophical levels.
- Physical food knowledge, knowing what is less-obeseogenic food, like Paleo template, LCHF, or similar food knowledge. That is not enough, for one can get fat on good food, but not as quick as on carbage foods, - sugar, ground grains, processed carbohydrates, processed foods in general. Cleaning up our eating choices helps a great deal, but there is still the quantity issues and frequency of eating.
- We may have physical issues driving appetite, physical high appetite or false hunger. These may be bacterial, fungus, yeasts in the gut. These are a group of hunger like symptoms that are relived by eating, even good food can be overeaten.
- Environment has an impact. If we work and live in the food system, temptation, low impulse control, food pushing people, who just push as a mater of principal, who see their function as food pushers, and if we are dependent on them .... We may find that the only way is to walk away from the "family business."
- Maladaptive behaviors covers a group of issues, binge eating disorder, emotional eating of comfort foods, stress and anxiety snacking (high blood glucose and high insulin is a natural relaxant) and similar problems. Binge eating disorder does not cover frequency eating problems, which are more common.
- Food addiction issues, where a chemical is driving appetite. Identification and abstinence is the solution.
Now naturally we want to remove discomforts, so it we have either physical or mental things driving us to eat, we will tend to overeat. 24/7 365/life of resistance is difficult.
Picture just because